Sometimes on my morning walk I take a photo and Instagram it as a “good morning!” Today I tacked on a sharing game, and asked people to name one book that all people must read. First, I was delighted that lots of people chimed in. Then I was delighted that several of my very favourite books were listed, one of them more than once. And finally, I've added a few to my list.
So many great books came up that I decided to compile the list here (the links are affiliate ones, to Powells, because obviously). Feel free to add your own must-reads in the comments!
- I said: What Is the What: The Autobiography of Valentino Achak Deng.
- Knitsocial recommended my favourite book of all time (just not the one I think everyone must read): The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
- Cookoorikoo seconded Kavalier and Clay and added The Fault in Our Stars, which I want to read soon (ramonawildeman and capnjemmy also said this book).
- Talentedmissripley said: “The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. Its like Russian magical realism! Be picky about which translation though.” When I asked which translations she recommends, she answered, “I like the Burgin/O'Connor version or the Pevear/Volokhonsky.”
- Craftivista added, Zoli, by Colum McCann.
- Thezenofmaking said Harriet the Spy.
- Hfancott said A Scot's Quair, which I couldn't find a link for.
- Oanababy said The Grapes of Wrath (and I'll add Steinbeck's East of Eden, because I can, and it's brilliant).
- Willolovesyou added Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living.
- Amyamydame named The Birth House.
- Tincanknits added my favourite CanLit book: Late Nights on Air.
- Kate_mckean named a book many people urged me to read but that I didn't end up loving: The History of Love: A Novel, then immediately followed up with Feed, which has been on my list for ages and I'm now kicked in the butt to get to.
- Knitsch named High Fidelity.
- Anniemmiller said Let the Great World Spin.
- @MMAAC tweeted A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
- @Tundragirl1966 rounded out the list with Code Name Verity.
ETA: Stupid Facebook didn't let me know that people made more recommendations there! Here they are:
- Greg Werker (probably just to needle me) said The Elements of Style.
- Christina Lees said Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls, or anything by David Sedaris
- Amy O'Neill Houck added Jitterbug Perfume.
- Shari Piper (that would be my mom) said The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.
- Maggie Ludwigson Brown said Truman.