I usually eschew meme tags (I like to blather on my own whim), but since I've met Laurie in person and she was so charming, I'll go for it. But I'll start with a photo from Salisbury Cathedral, just for kicks. It houses one of the few remaining copies of the Magna Carta; viewing that one piece of vellum that had such a profound influence on the evolution of human society literally brought tears to my eyes. (The photo does not show the Magna Carta, in case you're squinting trying to find it in the… ceiling. You can't take photos in the Chapter House that displays the document.)
Ok, meme time.
What was I doing ten years ago?
Ten years ago I had just graduated from university with an honours degree in linguistics and was preparing at the very last minute to go to grad school (what else would a linguistics nerd do?).
Five things on my non-work to do list today.
- Go to the bank
- Vacuum the living room
- Process a few more photos from our trip
- Have the heating ducts cleaned
- Re-pot some plants
Snacks I enjoy:
I'm forcing myself to learn to like snacking on carrots; Doritos (these are my downfall); peanuts; Twizzlers; Sour Patch Kids.
Things I would do if I was a billionaire:
- Live exactly as I do today but try to use the influence of my wealth for good and not evil
Places I have lived:
- Brooklyn, NY (Canarsie)
- Delmar, NY (suburb of Albany and bane of my adolescence)
- Binghamton, NY (see first question, above)
- Newark then Wilmington, DE (two years for grad school followed by two of my most depressed years ever; I needed to get out of Delaware)
- Vancouver, BC (thankgoodness)
Jobs I have had (in order):
- Summer camp counselor
- Office lackey (neat aside: Turns out Tara Jon Manning is related to my employer. Fun coincidence to discover, that!)
- Ice cream server (lost many a cone in the dipping pot)
- University tour guide
- University caller of prospective enrollees (cold calling; fun)
- More summer camp counseloring (this time with travel camp; saw much of the US this way)
- Research lab coordinator
- Coordinator of after school program at community center
- Director of teen travel camp at same community center (I was a camp counselor till age 24)
- Substitute teacher
- Brief stint back in grad school (I have a bad attitude and don't suffer boredom well)
- Very bad web designer
- And then all the crochet stuff: CrochetMe.com, book author, magazine writer, magazine editor, TV show co-host.
People I want to know more about:
Doris, I want to know more about you (also, I want to initiate you into this blog meme thing).