Dude. Game knitting. You have to try this.
Lee Meredith’s ebook about it is worth the download. I printed the relevant pages and brought them with me on a wee trip we took last weekend, and I’m not sure I’ll ever be without a game-knitting project whenever I travel from now on.
The gist of game knitting is that, while following a base pattern of your choosing, you perform some specific action whenever some outside event occurs. Like, say you’re watching Buffy and she makes a pun before killing a vampire â€“ it’s like a drinking game, but with knitting (and really, you could apply the same concept to any craft at all).
So into my bag I tossed the skein of Blonde Chicken Bulky yarn I bought from Tara at the Urban Craft Uprising in August (the colourway is called Barack and Michelle, how awesome is that?).
I cast on right before watching the double-dose of Dollhouse on Friday night. Following the chunky hat pattern in the ebook, I made an eyelet every time:
- Topher waved his hands above shoulder-height
- Adele poured a drink
- Someone had a treatment
- Victor and Sierra held hands
- Someone mentioned the attic
- Somebody got punched in the face
- Dichen Lachman‘s character spoke with an Australian accent
- Somebody was remote-wiped
(Little did I know there would be so much drinking by Adele, so much about the attic, and so much of Lachman being Australian. It’s amazing my toque wasn’t just made of holes.) (Also? The last few episodes of Dollhouse are really making me mourn the show’s cancellation. Kudos to all who were a part of it, on account of being awesome.)
I didn’t finish the hat during those two hours, but I did finish it halfway through watching War of the Worlds (which, sidebar, is a terrible movie) (also, this was the kind of wee vacation that involved two hours of Dollhouse, two movies, two games of Scrabble, and 1.5 hats). I made an eyelet every time:
- Something got blowed up
- Dakota Fanning’s character was precocious
- Someone screamed bloody murder
- I wanted to punch Tom Cruise in the face
Game knitting! Go try it.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Sci Fi UK interviews Dichen Lachman. (whedonesque.com)
- (SPOILER) Harry Lennix and Dichen Lachman talk Dollhouse season 2. (whedonesque.com)
- Official Dollhouse Twitter started posting. (whedonesque.com)
Leave a Reply